Wednesday 12 December 2012

Jennifer L. Armentrout's Lux Series


S
tarting over sucks.
When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.
And then he opened his mouth.
Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens.
The hot alien living next door marks me.
You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.
If I don't kill him first, that is
.

Whilst I was away travelling, a fellow YA literature enthusiast spent most of the trip with her nose tucked into Jennifer L. Armentrout’s Lux series. I had to see what all the fuss was about and I was soon joining her in ignoring the passing-by Vietnamese rice fields in order to get just an extra few minutes of my daily Daemon fix.
It has been a long time since I have enjoyed a series quite this much, and it was my immense enjoyment of Armentrout’s work that prompted me to enter the blogosphere so I could vent my excitement and share it with others.
Katy and Daemon are extremely engaging characters. Within pages, you are already thinking like Katy and in love with the infuriating but utterly swoon-worthy Daemon. What’s more, is that this is all complemented by a fast-paced and unpredictable plot line to boot. It’s unusual to find such an engaging and believable extra-terrestrial YA storyline, and I haven’t been as convinced by one since the show Roswell was on TV which, in my opinion, has a similar feel to the Lux series. The world Armentrout creates is so familiar but with that extra touch of extraordinary – the one that, deep down, we all long for so desperately! The characters develop in complexity as the series goes on and whilst I loved the first novel,
Obsidian, I felt that by book #2 – Onyx – Armentrout had truly gotten into her stride and I quite honestly could not put them down. Not afraid to shy away from surprising twists and relatively graphic fight - and romance - scenes, the Lux series do not break in continuity or
believability.These books deserve far more recognition and I’m counting down the days until Origin comes out!

No comments:

Post a Comment