Friday 12 April 2013

J.A.Redmerski - 'The Edge of Never'

Twenty-year-old Camryn Bennett thought she knew exactly where her life was going. But after a wild night at the hottest club in downtown Raleigh, North Carolina, she shocks everyone-including herself-when she decides to leave the only life she's ever known and set out on her own. Grabbing her purse and her cell phone, Camryn boards a Greyhound bus ready to find herself. Instead, she finds Andrew Parrish.

Sexy and exciting, Andrew lives life like there is no tomorrow. He persuades Camryn to do things she never thought she would and shows her how to give in to her deepest, most forbidden desires. Soon he becomes the center of her daring new life, pulling love and lust and emotion out of her in ways she never imagined possible. But there is more to Andrew than Camryn realizes. Will his secret push them inseparably together-or destroy them forever?





This book just won’t leave me alone! I finished ‘Edge of Never’ a few days ago, and I just keep wanting to go back to re-read it all again. Maybe it’s just a case of exactly the right story at exactly the right time for me, but I really think there is something special about this book.
Stylistically, I really enjoyed the writing. It wasn’t cocky or too punny, but still funny and really enjoyable. Perhaps it’s because I wasn’t looking for it, but I didn’t foresee how the book was going to end at all. Fuelled by my surprise for the turn the story took, I can only summarise this book to have been ‘life affirming’ in many ways.
The characters were really likeable; I got completely sucked into Camryn and Andrew’s journey and felt like I was taking it with them. I’m not sure I’ll ever be able to get on a long-haul bus journey against without feeling sorely disappointed now without some hunk with loud music sitting behind me.
The reader gets to know Camryn and Andrew in turn as they get to know each other; little trickles of memories and information are filtered throughout their conversations and memories, contributing to the eventual bigger picture. The book definitely got more fast-paced as I read on, but I actually really loved the pacing throughout. The slightly more monotonous tone of Cam’s life at the beginning and the first day or two of the bus journey was a really important element to understanding how her life picked up its own pace when she met Andrew – it made the whole experience feel so much more real, in my opinion.
The pacing was supported by a steady introduction of each of the new places they stop along the way, which are vividly portrayed (take me back to New Orleans!), and you could really feel their road trip right from the tension, to the excitement, the heat, the scenery and even down to the music playing. The depth of Andrew and Cam’s relationship was further supported by the dual-perspective writing. I’m not always the biggest fan of multiple narrators, but this worked perfectly. Andrew’s first narration came in late enough for me to feel like I’d got to know Cam and was ready to see whether Andrew felt the same. The two characters worked SO well together, it wasn’t one of those gorgeous-guy-awkward-girl type scenarios; I could completely understand why they were falling for each other. Plus their journey and their relationship is not only romantic and sweet, but also FUN. It’s sometimes kind of tricky to get that balance.
This is the new adult genre at its absolute best, and I can’t say more than to highly, highly recommend this read – you will feel just as uplifted and liberated as I do right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment